Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

In Japan, New Year's is the big family holiday, while Christmas is just a commercial holiday brought over from the west. It's mainly a couples holiday, where people go out for dinner (much like on Valentine's Day). Still, the country goes all out in Christmas decorations.

This year for Christmas in Japan I got my wisdom teeth removed and 5 Dutch guys.
They're all tall. So tall in fact, that it's difficult to navigate Tokyo's metro system without getting stuck. It was clearly designed for the locals.
This is the Christmas tree at my school; it's a bit of a decorative failure. I casually mentioned that trees this size are meant to be on the floor, but they didn't believe me. They just think I'm a humbug.
One of the many, many Christmas trees in Ginza.
And quite possibly one of my favorite Christmas decorations ever:
Ginza by night, and pretty much what I look out at everyday while I teach.


No comments:

Post a Comment