Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tokyo Neighborhoods: Asakusa

Asakusa is one of the best neighborhoods in Tokyo. It's one of the oldest and has the best atmosphere, and it's also great for souvenir shopping. I went shopping (with my friend and coworker Kazuko) for souvenirs for all my lovely peeps back home.
It's funny when representatives from the world's tallest nations stand next to delegates from the world's shortest.
A very modern building, but the garage door painting made it fit in well with the rest of the 'hood.
The Senso-ji temple is the focal point of Asakusa. On this special day it was also the location for the random dried plant festival.
Asahi is a famous Japanese beer, and their sky building was designed to look like a giant beer glass. The Japanese hate it and curse it for its ugliness, but I actually like it. I think it's interesting and creative, and is a far cry from the ugliest building in the city when you look at some of the other monstrosities.

Next to the beer glass is the Tokyo Sky Tree (still under construction). My students keep telling me that it's the tallest building in the world, but I highly doubt it. It doesn't even look taller than the CN tower.
In the foam of the Asahi building is a bar, overlooking the temple. It looks like a toy.
And by night.

No comments:

Post a Comment