Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ginza, Ginza desu.

Ginza is at the heart of Tokyo, and the city's most exclusive district. Armani, Gucci, Tiffany's and loads of high-end Japanese department stores line the streets. My office is at the corner of Ginza's main intersection, with my window overlooking all the hustle and bustle. You really can't get more central than this. This is also the most expensive real estate in the world; my office pays $35 000 rent each month.
I work on the floor right below the Delta ad.
Same building at night.
Toy Park is an amazing multi-story toy store, with a toy racetrack on the last floor. It's full of random Japanese toys as well as the brands we all know and love.
Rick's super grown up birthday present came from this store.
On weekends, there are so many people that the main street is closed to traffic.
In the background is Bic Camera, a massive electronics store where you can buy anything. This is where I was able to get my cell phone and internet connection in just one stop. It's behind a train station, and you can see these train tracks run all around the city. Under the tracks is my favorite lunch spot (you can see the orange sign).
The famous Sony building where we could play with fancy cameras in their showroom. We took pictures of a Pingu set, which were later printed on paper box cutouts we could take home as souvenirs.
And last but not least, the famous Ginza intersection, with people crossing in all directions.

If you're still reading, it's time for a Japanese lesson:
"Desu" (pronounced "des") means "this is", so "Ginza desu" means "this is Ginza". I hear this every day on the metro during my commute to work. "Desu ka" (pronounced "deska") means "is this?" so "Ginza desu ka?" means "is this Ginza?"

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I think I actually have a picture of your office building in my pictures from Tokyo! :-P What do they do there?

    ReplyDelete